Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Bright colors in funerals...no-no for Chinese & Japanese!

There are many cultural differences between the West and the East and I found another one today. I was at the rosary / funeral mass celebration of an ex-colleague, Adrian Guerrero today. I was on the second level of the church and when I looked down to the crowd, I could see every color you can think of literally. There were people who wore red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, grey, pink, black and white. At a traditional Chinese or Asian funeral in general, you will not be able to see a wide array of colors. It is actually rude and inconsiderate to wear bright colors to a funeral.

I guess the Catholics or Christians have a different interpretation of death - it is certainly a loss for the family members and friends, but it's a celebration of the deceased who is now in heaven with God. However, please be aware that most Asians, especially Chinese and Japanese, do you have the same perspective. Avoid all bright color clothes and accessories and wear your blacks to the funerals in Asian countries.

No comments: