Monday, May 5, 2008

Another cultural difference...no pets in bed or sofa

When I first came to the United States, I always saw ads selling pet step stools or pet stairs for dogs or cats. I was telling myself who wants such a product. It is better if my dog can't reach my bed or sofa.

I was surprised to see that Americans are completely the opposite and provide their pets unlimited access to their beds or sofas. In Hong Kong, I have never seen any pet owner has such a product before. This is all because we do not allow pets to get onto our sofas or beds, partly due to hygienic reason and partly because of the desire to minimize damage on expensive furniture.

Well, it's just another cultural difference and I'm glad my husband, who is an American White guy, agrees with me both on the hygiene and cleaning part. If not, I think we will fight day and night about how to treat our dog!

No comments: