Thursday, April 10, 2008

Local favorites in Singapore

I was born and raised in Hong Kong, but I studied and lived in Singapore for a few years and became a Singapore citizen. Many people ask me what I think about Singapore and whether I think the government is suffocating the citizens. If I do not like the place, I probably will only become a resident and not citizen.

In my opinion, Singapore is a very clean and orderly place with the best of both worlds. You can find many Western restaurants and shops there while you can also experience their rich local culture. I enjoy the administration and paternity of the Singapore government...I still receive money in my CPF account (similar to a social security account in the United States) from the government from time to time even though I haven't worked there for over 10 years. Singapore government is just like the government in Alaska - well-managed with surplus in their account.

Talking about local favorites, I love their Hainanese chicken rice, satay, rojak and fried carrot cake. The following photos are from the Singapore Tourism Board. Check out their list of top 10 local favorites. It gives you a concise description of what they are.



(top left to right: Hainanese chicken rice & satay; bottom left to right: rojak & fried carrot cake)

No comments: