Tuesday, April 8, 2008

When do Asians eat rice?

Yesterday I talked about rice being the main staple for Chinese. In fact, other Asians such as Japanese, Filipino and Korean also treat rice as a major part of their meal. Most of them have rice as their breakfast as well. I visited one of my Japanese friends in Tokyo two years ago. She made breakfast for me and my husband and surely rice was one of the items.

When I was a kid, I grew up eating rice and meat for my breakfast during winter. My mother said it would help keep me warm...considering that there was no heating in the classroom and we were on public transportation a lot, rice did help give me energy and warmth. I still have the habit of eating rice almost every day. Bread is considered a snack for me. If I don't have rice for a particular meal, somehow I feel that I didn't quite feed myself well.!

No comments: